Saturday, October 28, 2006

Saturday in Rome



Saturday, October 28
Nick-"Today we experienced the pilgrimage to the Vatican. Wanting to beat both the heat and the expected crowds, we left the apartment at 9am, caught a cab and were in St Peter's Square within five minutes. No sooner did we get in line when the thought of a bathroom started to linger in the distance of my mind. Well, once we get through security (never had to do that in the past) and go through this tiny church, we'll find a bathroom. My first experience here back in 1972, I arrived at the Basilica like an idiot in a pair of shorts. I had no regard for others and the sacred grounds I was about to visit. Yet, I was not the only one in the 70's to arrive dressed improperly. In fact, the church in those days would give you plastic raincoat to be worn while in the church. Today, they require that long pants be worn and I saw no one in the raincoats so maybe the world is better forewarned about proper dress or they were turning people away, but didn't see any. Susie said she saw a woman in a sleeveless top, with bra straps showing no less. Maybe she came in covered up and took off her coat?....


I will not try to relate the beauty and the goose bumps felt entering the largest and most beautiful church in the world. Yes, I was in awe of my surroundings and made a point to thank God through prayer for being so instrumental to the world we know. This church is probably the most humbling spot I have ever visited and yes, you feel God reaching down and sitting momentarily in your skin. What a pleasant feeling....

No comments: