Thursday, October 26, 2006

Sarah's Lucca to Rome Report


Thursday-October 26
We were up and packed fairly early. Before we left, Villa Romantica served us a wonderful breakfast in a very pretty sunny little dining room-delicious cappacino not to mention all the things one would want to have at a continental, Italian breakfast. Sarah had a tought time getting her monster suitcase down two flights of stairs! We all agreed we would like to return to Lucca when we had more time to get to know this charming, little city but we were looking forward to getting to Rome.

Here's what Sarah thought of the day's adventures:
"Well this fall we went to Rome!! I was very excited because I love pasta. I also love to travel. The drive from Lucca to Rome was about a 3-4 hour drive. The last 30-40 minutes was NOT fun!!!!!!!! Dramamine was the key to success for me because I get car sick sooo easily!!!NEVER use Via Michelin directions , especially when you are going to Rome !!! Once we got to the apartment we all crashed on the beds as if we had just died.













The next morning I was a little cranky from waking to the sound of my mother typing. But after having my Italian latte I was set to go exploring! The places in Rome that we went to were:

- Mamertine Prison
- Colleseum
- Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Trevi Fountain
- Spanish Steps
- Pantheon
- Castello St. Angelo
- St Peter’s"

PS. Both Nick and I agree with Sarah on the Via Michelin directions...just awful as far as getting us to our apartment. It was a disaster made more so by the fact that we didn't have a detailed map of the city to find our way without Michelin. So, lesson learned and common sense: use your own map along with ViaMichelin directions. The trip you save may be your own! Once close to the city, we were stopping and asking store owners, cabbies and even the Hertz man(who saved us with a map!) for directions.

No comments: